Live it: New Beginnings


I said last week that I would tell you more about my decision to leave London. 

I have lived in London for over 4 years now and although I only came from the Reading area originally, it was always a place I wanted to live as it could open opportunities for me to work in the creative/museums area that I trained in with a Design degree and a Curating Masters behind me.  I came to London after I had already been working in outdoor events for the past 3 years near Basingstoke. I  was working on hot air balloon Festivals, music, Transport and fireworks events,  alongside working on some education and Theatre work, you gotta love a portfolio career. Whilst in London I worked for the same company for over 3 years and throughout that time I worked on my own amazing events such as the Boat Race (you know, that famous Oxford vs. Cambridge one), Polo, Japanese Cultural events and arts events to name but just a few.  I had a great time, working with some great communities and sheltering from the rain/ extreme sun from time to time.  But, in time my role became much more administrative and less events orientated, which for me, just wasn't what I loved about it.

So, I started looking for another job and after some soul searching and a-lot of moaning on a Monday mornings to all who would listen, I took the brave/crazy step and quit my job.  It wasn't making me happy, in fact it had got so bad, I just didn't even have the energy to be creative any more. 

Since I quit in September I have interned with the Make Lounge in Islington, London; worked at Kings Place Music Foundation on various roles and stints to assist them when looking for new staff and found out much more about the Kings Cross area of London.  I Volunteered at many museums in London to learn more about education and re-learn some skills. I have started on my TEFL course and still tackling that one; Led some craft workshops with Sammy down at the Craft Coop shop in Maidenhead and last but no means least learnt so much more about me and what I want to do in my life.  It revitalised my love for museums and the arts and made me realise that, museums is really where I see myself.

I filled in so many applications I cannot even tell you, lets just say that even when I am qualified for the role, apparently sometimes that just isn't enough.  One thing that strikes me as odd, is that when you have exactly what they are looking for you don't get an interview and other times when you are not as qualified, they take a chance!  It did start to get me down and there were some moments where I doubted my experience and knowledge and so my confidence definitely took a few knocks along the way, but eventually  I got just what I was looking for.

Tomorrow, I start at The Lightbox in Woking and this is where the leaving London part comes in!  I will be commuting for a bit as my current housemate's need to find someone else, just as lovely to replace me. but after that I will be moving closer to my new job.

I will be Learning Officer for the museum and so running sessions, devising new education plans and all manner of other things that need to be done.  I will be part of a small education team there, but one of the great things about being in a small team is that you can really get stuck in.  I know my first job will be to assist the local College with their final show set-up which opens on Wednesday, which is great.  I hope they give me an electric drill!  he, he.

I will be leaving busy London for a life in Woking (when I find a place to live of course).  But with and HG Wells centre (due to War of the Worlds being based in nearby Horsell Common)  and a huge shopping centre to explore, I am sure it will just feel the same as Shepherds Bush after a while.  It's going to be different, but what an adventure, and as they say you gotta keep moving forward and if that means leaving the big smoke then so be it.  Maybe it will be the best thing that has ever happened to me, or maybe its just a bit different for a few years.  Who knows what could come next!

I will update you in a few weeks to how it is going, after all, I might even encourage a few of you to come see the museum!

Live it
H